Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Help deciding..."

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 14-Sep-12 04:40 PM

You are going to get a lot of good, practical advice on this forum.
You have many options and all be good. Don't be put off from the D800 due to expectations of being less forgiving because it really is no more demanding than other cameras and in fact is, in my experience, less demanding than say, a D7000. The lens requirements often cites are for peak performance but any lenses with the F mount seem to perform better than whatever they were used on before. I am very happy with my D800, and one of the reasons is the AF performance you mentioned. It excels in tracking after lock has been acquired and in low light.
The D600 shares the AF module with the D7000 which is a step below the AF performance of the D4/D800 which share the MultiCAM 3500FX module. For street photography there is an advantage with the D7000/600 size body, they are less obvious when trying get candid, un-posed scenes. A D800 with grip and a quality lenses will be hard to ignore. The 24-70 2.8 on either camera would make an excellent general purpose walking around lens but the wide end is not quite wide enough for architecture.
The most serious demand posed by the D800 is on computer performance and storage. It produces large files and need some processing horsepower to edit without a lot of waiting for the last adjustment to be updated. I manage well with a i7 processor laptop running Win 7 and Linux dual boot and external 1tb hard drive.
Before committing to a major purchase, I suggest renting a candidate for a weekend, after downloading and studying the manual for a day before it arrives. The fit in your hand will have more impact on your enjoyment derived than absolute image quality.
Good luck
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Help deciding... [View all] , dortego , Thu 13-Sep-12 05:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help deciding...