Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Help deciding..."

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 13-Sep-12 09:04 PM

Welcome to Nikonians!

While I certainly favor a Nikon kit and would encourage you to follow your instincts, I'm not exactly clear on what problem you have with your Sony that you expect would be solved by the D600 or D800.

I wouldn't worry about the pixel pitch creating more or less demand on your shooting. Ultimately, if you shoot the same scene with D700, D600, or D800, and then output to the same size, you will have magnified everything, including flaws in equipment and technique, exactly the same amount. The "more pixels are more demanding" myth comes from people zooming in to 100% view on their computer screen, at which point you are magnifying the small pixel image considerably more than the larger pixel images. But in the end, there's no real use in viewing an image that way. There is, however, certainly a valid argument that you don't really need 36MP unless you plan to print really big. (And some of us do.)

You may want to hold the cameras in your hand and see which fits better. You won't get your hands on a D600 quite yet but body size the D7000 should be roughly comparable (although the notable difference will be the larger D600 viewfinder to accommodate the larger FX prism).

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

This is a hot, active topic! Help deciding... [View all] , dortego , Thu 13-Sep-12 05:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help deciding...