Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

U1/U2 vs. Custom Banks

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: U1/U2 vs. Custom Banks"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 14-Sep-12 05:31 AM

U1/U2 is a great feature, but I was QUITE dismayed about it being tied to the one-time-only PASM choice - it totally affected my routine. I was fairly vocal about this when the D7000 forum first started up. In the I end, and it took me months to get past this, and I had to adapt my shooting to the camera, which is not a good sign from a UI perspective.

Last night I was handling my D7000 for the first time in a while, and I couldn't help but notice that if I was only able to program Scene Mode to be my U3, and "green auto" to be my U4, the (D7000) camera would be pretty much golden for me.

And I'm still waiting for my minimum shutter speed aperture priority setting on my V1. Yet again, had to adapt my shooting, by settling on using shutter priority but I hate it because I manage to goof that up and underexpose shots all the time, whereas aperture priority with a minimum shutter speed always gets me a properly exposed shot, albeit sometimes at SS slower than my stated minimum. And geez lab coat guys, give me an Auto-1600 choice on the V1 while you are at it.

Cut over to my D4, where I have made a decision to use a feature called extended banks which shares some attributes with the U1/U2 concept, in that it allows the bank to remember the aperture in aperture priority (but unfortunately does not remember my default exposure compensation like U1/U2 does). I finally finished programming all 4 banks a couple weeks ago, but I ended up doubling up certain banks for dual usage (one is Theatre/Birding) so I'm STILL having to remember if I'm birding to change 3 or 4 key settings (typically my Auto-ISO values and white balance and I already forget what else, probably ADL too and maybe some other stuff I have in MYMenu). So MyMenu becomes a way of remembering what to check and reset.

If I had Thom's mythical programmable camera, I MYSELF WOULD PROGRAM EACH CAMERA THE WAY I WANT IT Fat chance.

I have to sit back and envy the guys who shoot two identical cameras

Good topic. I do really like U1/U2 though, with the exception of the PASM limitation and I really need U1 through U5 or U6.

One other tip for any folks new to U1/U2 concept, your PASM choice is really conceptually a U3. So you really have at your disposal U1/U2 and a U3 shared by P, A, S, and M. This can be important.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic U1/U2 vs. Custom Banks [View all] , MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography , Thu 13-Sep-12 04:32 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: U1/U2 vs. Custom Banks