Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

ergonomics and 'going pro'

Light Seeker

CA
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ergonomics and 'going pro'"

Light Seeker Registered since 18th Apr 2009
Mon 15-Oct-12 10:30 PM

>I am one who thinks old habits can change which means any
>camera can become like an old glove if one gives it a chance.
>Most often cameras with "bad" ergonomics, are just
>ones for which new habits have not been adopted yet.

Stan speaks words of wisdom. Let me share my (limited) D600 experience.

I have a D700 and I've had three occasions to try the D600, D800 and my D700 at the same time (camera store). The first time I instantly enjoyed the D800 and hated the D600. I found the D600 confusing and unintuitive. When I left the store I relished that I had my D700 in hand to shoot with.

During the second visit I discovered, much to my surprise, that the D600 was not that bad to work with. I no longer hated it and instead though to myself "I could probably work with this camera if I had to".

During the third visit I actually enjoyed working with the D600. I could easily adjust ISO, WB, shooting mode, etc. and take the test shots I wanted. In fact, after I left the store I realized that I might have even preferred shooting with the D600 over either the D800 or my D700. It's lighter than my D700 and smaller than either the D700 or D800. The D700 / D800 bodies seemed a bit "cluncky" in comparison. On the other hand, that may just be the desire for a new camera talking!

So, I realized that I can work with any of these three cameras. The biggest feature gap for me is the D600's 3 shot limit on exposure bracketing. It will be somewhat painful to work around this (e.g. 9 shot bracketing), but it can be done.

The decision point for me is primarily based on whether the additional resolution, dynamic range and better noise control warrant the dollars I would need to invest after selling my D700.

Terry.

A general, generic topic ergonomics and 'going pro' [View all] , unleadedthought , Sun 14-Oct-12 03:04 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ergonomics and 'going pro'