Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

ergonomics and 'going pro'

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ergonomics and 'going pro'"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Sun 14-Oct-12 09:12 PM | edited Sun 14-Oct-12 09:17 PM by jpFoto

>Let's try and stick to the physicality of the camera, its controls and the body.
>The grip is huge. that's my opinion. but can anyone with smaller / normal sized hands describe their experience with this?

I hate to use this type of analogy, but your question is like asking the owner of a particular new car whether or not he or she likes the seats and the size of the rear-view mirror and please ignore everything else. In my opinion that is not the way to evaluate a camera. My hands are the most "normal size" that anyone could possibly have ordered, unless of course, you knew in advance that you would need smaller hands or larger hands for a particular vocation, so I don't find the grip at all large. I also own a D3S and have owned a D700 and a D3200. If I had my druthers, I would prefer the D600 to have the weight and size of the D3200 and the external controls of the D3S. For me, the D600 had a learning curve, because I was used to the D700 and the D3S, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. I had a D800 for a brief period of time, and I was very comfortable with the controls. If control buttons and ergonomics were my only concern, then I would have chosen the D800, but I don't want the extra weight and I definitely don't want the file size that you get with that camera. I like the D600 for its size and weight, high ISO abilities, two card slots, and high resolution and DR. Frankly, I was equally impressed by the resolution and DR of the D3200, but I own mostly FX lenses and really do like more external controls. I was also forced to buy a super wide angle zoom for the DX camera that I don't need with FX, so the D600 really was more cost effective in my case.

So, if ergonomics is your major concern then I would have to agree with an earlier post that indicated that only you can decide. It's like going to the shoe store. But, if size, weight, controls and file size are also important to you then I think that you need to look deeper.

Good luck with your decision.

jP

A general, generic topic ergonomics and 'going pro' [View all] , unleadedthought , Sun 14-Oct-12 03:04 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ergonomics and 'going pro'