Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question re Nikkor 70-300mm 3.5/4.5 VR on D600

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Question re Nikkor 70-300mm 3.5/4.5 VR on D600"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 11-Oct-12 10:43 PM

I'd recommend you run some tests for yourself and determine what apertures will work for you. Often with telephotos, you're isolating the subject and therefore things like corner softness and light falloff, which is what you improve by stopping down, don't matter much anyway.

I had a telephoto lens which I always used stopped down since that's what the prevailing wisdom said was necessary. Then, when I was selling the lens, a potential customer asked me for an example shot wide-open. I did the shot practicing my most stringent shot discipline (weighted tripod and lens, live view focus, mirror-up delay...) and found that wide open was actually the sharpest aperture!

In DX mode, your 16-85 is the same lens with the same performance characteristics regardless of D600 or D80. I'd expect better results on D600, particularly at higher ISOs, mainly due to a few generations newer sensor tech. To take full advantage of your D600 however, you'll want an FX mid-range zoom eventually.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic Question re Nikkor 70-300mm 3.5/4.5 VR on D600 [View all] , EYeye Silver Member , Thu 11-Oct-12 06:35 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question re Nikkor 70-300mm 3.5/4.5 VR on D600
Reply message RE: Question re Nikkor 70-300mm 3.5/4.5 VR on D600