Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
kentak

US
950 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using Program Mode"

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010
Fri 12-Oct-12 04:26 AM

I guess I have to somewhat take issue with your characterization of using Program Mode. Not everyone who gets into DSLR photography has mastery of the fundamentals of the exposure triad of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. *While* they are learning those fundamentals, the more automated modes (Auto, P, possibly auto ISO) allow them to make successful images to get results and keep the enthusiasm going.

The "flexible program" feature of P mode, used correctly, can give just about as much control over exposure as Manual mode when one has a particular aperture or shutter need. The program gets you in the exposure ballpark, and a few clicks of the command dial gets you where you need to be. When the little green men step out of their saucer in my back yard, the camera is going in P mode.

I agree that these modes should not be relied on as a long term alternative to learning the fundamentals of exposure. There are less complicated and less expensive cameras that can do that job for someone who doesn't want to go to that level of control.

Kent

This is a hot, active topic! Using Program Mode [View all] , Auzkat , Thu 11-Oct-12 12:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using Program Mode
Reply message Program mode
Reply message RE: Program mode