Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"SO LONG" Still cannot shoot in "14bit depth" RAW, I ne...

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: "SO LONG" Still cannot shoot in "14bit depth" RAW, I need some help, please>"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 13-Oct-12 05:12 AM

>Perrone
>
>You are being a bit tough and sarcastic here, and I really
>don't understand why.

You don't? Well here is why....

We have a user who claims to have a defective camera. Since the initial post, no less than 4 people have offered assistance. PUBLICLY, that assistance has neither been acknowledged nor taken advantage of. Instead, we were presented with: "I am never buying another Nikon product, and "I am sending back the second camera and hoping the third will solve the issue". So excuse me for seeming a bit tough on Gary.

Consider the following:
>
>1. Gary and I spent about 20 minutes on the phone making sure
>that both of our D600s were set up the same. We then,
>methodically, went through the appropriate menu items and
>chose both 12 bit and 14 bit depth and took images at both
>settings, twice. We each confirmed the menus that were on the
>screen and the results after hitting OK. We then hung up and
>each of us viewed our images. We took a total of 5. Again,
>on the phone, we confirmed that each one of mine had the
>correct EXIF data, but that all of Gary's were at 12 bit. We
>then compared serial numbers and his was significantly lower
>than mine. He returned his camera, but has stated that the
>replacement actually had a lower serial number than the
>first.

Was this methodical testing session EVER disclosed here? No. Did we have ANY idea that Gary had performed testing like this with someone who was attempting to help him? No. I can guarantee you that if he had, the responses here would have been significantly different. From the perspective of the folks here in the forum who were not privy to this, it just seemed like we were trying to help, and were being blown off.

>2. How many people who have purchased a D600 have checked to
>see if their cameras are taking photos in 12 bit or 14 bit
>depth. Even if they choose 14 bit, do you think that they
>really look at the EXIF data to see if they got the proper
>result. If Gary hadn't had this problem, I probably would
>never have checked mine.

I completely agree with this, and upon hearing the issue, I certainly checked mine. Though honestly with the stuf I've been shooting, I probably would have noticed.

>3. Why ask Gary to make those three choices before he gets
>his replacement? What if his third camera works as it should?
> Are you going to apologize for what is clearly a personal
>attack on his credibility and ability to use his camera and
>his software?

I didn't ask Gary to make those three choices before his replacement arrived. Read what I said:

"You've faulted the camera twice now. Yet seem unwilling to do the basic scientific methodology to track down the problems. So I hope for you, the third time is the charm. The more interesting question to me now is if you have the same symptoms with the third camera, will you: ..."

Clearly this indicates that I was interested in his response IF THE THIRD CAMERA exhibited the same symptoms.

I have not attacked his credibility in the least. From our perspective he gave zero indication that he had done any due diligence to sort out the problem, and had seemingly blown off the Nikonians who offered assistance. That is what I took exception to. But I'll apologize anyway.

Gary, I am sorry I questioned you. I am sorry I jumped in your thread, but only did so to try to offer what assistance I could to a fellow Nikonian. I will be more cautious in the future, and I wish you success with your third D600, or whatever you plan to replace it with.

>4. How many Nikonians have returned more than one D800
>because of the left focus problem? And, how many have sent
>their cameras in more than twice for the same repair?

Numerous.

>I think that you could be a little less judgmental until he
>gets his replacement and reports back, but then what do I
>know.

Again, my comments would NEVER have appeared had Gary indicated ANY of the information that you've offered here. And with that, I will bow out of the thread, and hope Gary finds a solution to his problem. Whether with Nikon, or someone else..

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! "SO LONG" Still cannot shoot in "14bit depth" RAW, I ne... [View all] , Garys , Wed 10-Oct-12 07:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Still cannot shoot in "14bit depth" RAW, I need som...
Reply message RE: "SO LONG" Still cannot shoot in "14bit depth" RAW, ...
                                        Reply message No 14bit Iamge Issue
Reply message How do I get RAW bit depth to display in LR4.2 Metadata...
Reply message RE: How do I get RAW bit depth to display in LR4.2 Meta...