Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"First Impressions"

JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Thu 11-Oct-12 06:01 PM | edited Thu 11-Oct-12 06:08 PM by JohnE Nikon

Okay so I shot about 75 images last night at the soccer game.
It did not rain.

The camera feels only slightly larger than the D7000 and holding the camera feels even a little better. The grip is slightly larger.

The mirror has a louder slap and I feel like I'm taking a picture with a slightly more substantial camera.

The viewfinder is bright and big. I like it.

I glanced over the user manual went through the menu's.

I like the horizon view which gives you pitch info as well. It's like flying a plane. I found it helpful when aligning for my resolution charts to test lenses 2 nights ago.

The battery indicator with percentage photo's left is cool.

The auto iso now has a an auto feature where it will set shutter speed based on the lens you need. I haven't used this but it is a welcome addition.
I also like the locking mode dial. This will prevent me from inadvertently shooting in manual mode when I thought I was in aperture mode. This occasionally happened when I grabbed the D7000 and accidently turned this mode dial.

The focus seemed dead on and quite fast. My misses were likely related to user error as opposed to camera error. Focus was at least as good as with the D7000 and I think it was better.

As I initially stated conditions were not ideal in the night time game. My iso's ranged from 2000 to 6400 usually closer to 6400. I tried to keep my shutter speeds above 500.

There were large overhead lights ? fluorescent.
The field seemed well lit. The background was wooded and appeared nearly black to my naked eye.

I used center weighted exposure and found I had to use minus 2/3 stop exposure compensation to avoid overexposed player with their white jerseys. This made sense to me and I don't think the exposure was off as the camera had to manage a black background with well lit players.

I do use LR4 and am using the beta RAW converter. I found the colors especially the green grass to be slightly oversaturated compared to what I'm used to with my D7000. It definitely looks different. I will have to have different presets for importing with this camera. Things also may change when a final camera profile is released w LR4.3.

While I was shooting I did miss the reach of my DX sensor. Many images were well framed. I had to crop about 1:3 on about 50% of my keepers. I often have to crop w my D7000 anyway especially when shooting sports, so this is not a big deal and not a reason to have initially used DX. My framing with sports is definately not spot on with fast action. Overall especially for night time shooting I prefer this camera for sports but in the day time when I need reach I wont hesitate to dust off my D7000. (Okay it's only been out use for 2 days and my house isn't too dusty)

Now the high iso performance does seem quite good. When I view 1:1 I do see significant noise with the high iso's I shot from this game. However when I fill the screen with my image I don't see any significant noise and chose not to apply any noise reduction to my images and was able to even apply significant sharpening in LR.

Overall I am quite happy at this point. I am happy I made the plunge to FX and looking forward to shooting portrait group shots w my 35-70 lens today after my real job ends. Will report back.

Below I posted a couple from last night. These were shot in RAW w no noise reduction applied. These are both cropped about 1:3. A full image would do even better w high iso performance.

Click on image to view larger version

ISO: 5000
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 200mm

Click on image to view larger version

Model NIKON D600
ISO 3200
Exposure 1/800 sec
Aperture 2.8
Focal Length 135mm
Flash Used false
White Balance 0
Metering Mode 2
Exposure Program 3

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Another D 600 owner [View all] , JohnE Nikon , Wed 10-Oct-12 05:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Another D 600 owner
Reply message First Impressions
     Reply message RE: First Impressions