Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How many are already looking to upgrade from the D600?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: How many are already looking to upgrade from the D600?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 08-Oct-12 08:49 AM

It is obvious that Nikon hit the sweet spot in price and image quality with the D600 which should be a major hit(also because they have scalable production capability for it and got it into stores very quickly). But for those with specific desires, there is a better chance that as a general use camera, it does not have some features. I still have not seen one in the flesh but seen lots of impressive images. I am with you however, the D800 is not THAT heavy, in fact with grip, flash and decent lens. I have to look to notice which I have just picked up, a D7000 similarly equipped, or the D800. With a grip they all feel great in hand but I used the D800 for three months without a grip and for the first time, with only a hand strap, a gripless body felt quite comfortable in hand.
The D800 continues to be the price marvel, low enough for mere mortals yet missing nothing of value. If I had the ear of the designers the only feature I would have added was an option for selecting smaller files, some scenes are just no important enough for 42-75mb files. That would never be a major issue and surely not a deal breaker who wanted or needed the great image quality it provides. Overall, however, I think the D600 makes more sense for the majority of shooters, but then I also think most people should stick with their their current camera longer...probably myself included. After shooting film so long, FX required no adjustment in habits and in fact is more familiar to my then my first DSLRs, D90 and D7000. I still have not unwrapped the manual, since there are no surprises in operation except for the surprisingly good results.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as a poll/survey How many are already looking to upgrade from the D600? [View all] , RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. , Mon 08-Oct-12 05:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How many are already looking to upgrade from the D6...