Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Another D600"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 08-Oct-12 09:05 PM

I have not used the 24-120 but I know many people whose opinion I respect rave about it. It apparently is the optimum walking around general purpose lens for the D600, and D800.
I use a 24-70 and 70-200 to cover that range and it can be a bit of a load to carry both for walking around shooting. If I used a neck strap I probably would have gotten a 24-120 by now but I use a Black Rapid RS-5 and hardly notice the weight during all night sessions or hours of walking around.
Regarding the balance of lens and body combination, I hear people remark that heavy lenses need heavy bodies to "balance". I do not understand that. Balance is the left hand support position, moving it out a little or in a little such that the combination is balanced and the right hand has a light grip without supporting anything. A V1 and 70-200 balances just as nicely as a D3 and 70-200. If someone is feeling the lens is front heavy and hard to grip by the camera it is probably due to having the left hand too close to the camera body for that particular lenses.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Another D600 [View all] , Cagger , Mon 08-Oct-12 04:03 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Another D600