Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First shots with my D800

Thrillington

Lorton, US
66 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"First shots with my D800"

Thrillington Registered since 05th May 2008
Sat 19-May-12 01:33 PM

It finally arrived! In the middle of working three back-to-back projects on the road, I received a call from Arlington Camera that my D800 had arrived. After arranging to have it shipped to the house so that I would receive it during the 2 days that I'd swing by the house, I unboxed my baby and boarded my flight to LA.

Since we went straight to work as soon as we landed, I had literally no time to play with the camera. I managed to squeeze in shooting some trash frames around the hotel space but that was about it until, a few days later, when I decided to take it to an evening social event with me. As luck would have it, I arrived to find a band had been hired to do a three set gig for the social.

Unfortunately, I only had my 70-200/2.8 VRI and 16-35/4 with me. I still have a great deal to learn about the new body and definitely need to improve my technique. I mainly shoot travel and candid/street but have shot a few concerts in the past. I was pretty happy with the results. One of the crew approached me a few minutes after I had pulled the camera out and asked if I would mind posting my shots up so the production company could see if they wanted copies. I took that to mean "there's no three song limit for you, buddy" and shot away throughout the performance. The band didn't seem to mind and mugged for me quite a bit.

I've posted the shots up on the SmugMug account that I am in the process of getting up and organized. I see no reason to upgrade my 70-200 to the VRII model based on what I see. I did not use the 16-35 much as the sun went down quickly and the lighting made it difficult to shoot with that lens.

The short of it is... I love this camera. I've noticed none of the problems that others have mentioned. My two year old 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM is a tad sluggish post processing with Aperture but is more than sufficient. Yes... storage is an issue. I filled a 32GB card over the length of the performance shooting RAW+jpeg. Honestly though... the jpegs out of this camera are gorgeous. I can easily see setting up a workflow working primarily with those and storing the RAW files for serious editing/printing on select images. Which makes the combo CF and SD slots a perfect configuration.

The shots are at http://dfattahian.smugmug.com/Events/NRG-Performance

Dave

A general, generic topic First shots with my D800 [View all] , Thrillington , Sat 19-May-12 11:33 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First shots with my D800