Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 - Time to send it in

RidgesPhoto

US
24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D800 - Time to send it in"

RidgesPhoto Registered since 10th May 2012
Thu 17-May-12 03:37 PM

I hate this. My D800 is *almost* perfect. It suffers from the left AF back focus issus. The problem is that sometimes, it seems to focus pretty good. Other times, it's off. If I had to rate it, I'd say it's about 80% of perfect.

So, here's my problem. If I don't get it repaired, it will bug the #### out of me to know I paid $3k for a camera that's not working perfectly. That said, I also hate the thought of paying $75 to ship my brand new camera to Nikon with the very real possibility of them sending it right back saying all is well and not changing anything.

When I consider this, and the fact that I *could* work around the issue and if I'm honest, I don't shoot wide open wide angle very often, I'm tempted to just keep it. On top of that, I really don't want to be without my new toy for a couple of weeks by sending it in.

But then I come back to my new baby not working properly. My dealer is a good friend who discretely bumped me to the top of his list so I only had to wait a week to get my D800. I briefly mentioned the AF issue to him and while I think he would try to get me another one to swap out, I might just end up with another defective camera and I hate to take advantage of him like that.

I think I'm just going to have to man up and send it in and work with Nikon to get it fixed. This will probably mean several trips but in the end, it will be worth it. Thanks for letting me vent.

D800 and a bunch of glass that cost way more than my wife thinks it did.

A general, generic topic D800 - Time to send it in [View all] , RidgesPhoto , Thu 17-May-12 01:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 - Time to send it in