Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon Lens Suggestion Needed for D800E?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon Lens Suggestion Needed for D800E?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Fri 18-May-12 04:09 AM

>I thank you all for your advice. Yes, as much as I dislike
>weddings it seems I am already getting requests to shoot more
>of them and this is one of the reasons that I am getting a
>D800E. Other than that, I plan on taking photos of people and
>architecture around NYC. I have taken heed of your comments
>and I getting ready to jump the gun. For now, I think my first
>lens will be the 35mm 1.4g.

I am not a pro, nor a wedding photographer (but happened to do some shots at my niece's last week so have some recent experimentation). I think you are making a mistake to think that with a 35/1.4G you can do a wedding. I think you are going to be way too far away in many cases, even given the high resolution that you can crop. While 1.4 is nice for portraits, it is not a lot of help for candids, even though dim light is a real problem (it's not a lot of help because the DOF is too shallow, you end up nicely lit and nothing much in focus).

Now if you said you were getting that and a couple other lenses maybe.

If I had to buy exactly one lens for weddings (after hoping someone who does them for a living would comment), if it were me I'd either get the 24-120 as a compromise lens with some reach, or the 24-70 because it's wonderful and does low light and hope I could crop enough for the long shots (and build on it later).

I'd suggest the more standard wedding set is the 24-70 and 70-200. You may still struggle with needing macro (ring shots, etc) and for your "architecture" you might need wider as well (though probably not for weddings, though I have done some very nice ones with a 10.5 (on DX) and 14mm for crowd and dancing shots.

And if you are doing weddings professionally you need a second body!

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Nikon Lens Suggestion Needed for D800E? [View all] , davidhunternyc , Thu 17-May-12 03:30 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Lens Suggestion Needed for D800E?