Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses?

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses?"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Tue 15-May-12 03:59 PM

The 24 f/1.4 is an amazing lens, but its main function is for shooting f/1.4-f/2.8. Now, while I grab my asbestos underwear, let me clarify that I'm not saying the 24/1.4 isn't good stopped down, just that there are several oustanding options at 24/2.8 which are cheaper, so if you don't need f/1.4 I'd suggest e.g. 24-70 f/2.8, 14-24 f/2.8, 24 f/2.8 etc.

...or if manual focus is ok don't mess around and just get the Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2 which is probably the single best wide-angle lens available for Nikon F-mount.

Actually, your current kit is excellent and I believe will be fine. I think a bigger adjustment will be FOV change from DX to FX, all these lenses are going to shift their purpose.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses? [View all] , dkelly Silver Member , Tue 15-May-12 11:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses...