Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses?

dkelly

CASTLE ROCK, US
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses?"

dkelly Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2002
Tue 15-May-12 01:51 PM

I’ve read some of the comments stating pro glass is needed for the D800 but it’s still not clear to me what determines pro glass. Bottom line, I want to make sure my lenses compliment the D800E capabilities.

Currently shooting a D7000 with the glass shown below and I’ve been satisfied with the results. Like many, I’m purchasing the D800E because I want more (36mp detail) and have the intent to do some very large prints and want the shots to be as sharp and clear as possible. I welcome comments on each lens and whether or not these are a very good match with the D800E.

AF Nikkor 20mm 1:2.8 D
AF Nikkor 35 - 70mm 1:2.8D
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4 D
AF Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8
AF Nikor 180mm 1:2.8 ED
AF Nikkor 300mm 1:4 ED

I prefer to shoot prime lenses with the understanding these give a boost in clarity in many instances compared to a zoom. I primarily shoot landscape & macro and always use a tripod, hence I do not necessarily need to have the absolute fastest lens available. I’m considering purchasing one of the following lenses which cost approximately $2,000 and $1,700 respectively. Either of these would certainly be a premium cost compared to my current inventory.

AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Wide Angle Lens
AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G Wide-Angle Lens

Aside from the lens speed, would I realize a significant, noticeable upgrade in my photos compared to my current 20mm or 50mm? If these indeed offer a true advantage, I’m also curious how the 24mm and 35mm would match up against the PC-E Micro Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Manual Focus lens as a glass to glass comparison. I understand the PCE is completely different type of lens with it’s own unique advantages, but how would this lens match up in glass performance to the 24 and 35mm?

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses? [View all] , dkelly Silver Member , Tue 15-May-12 11:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Waiting on my D800E – do I need to upgrade lenses...