Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Feeling the Nikon D800 Exuberance!

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Feeling the Nikon D800 Exuberance!"

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Wed 09-May-12 03:05 PM

Darrell:

> I can't put my finger on why this Nikon D800 is so very pleasing to me. Maybe it's the giant prints, the ability to crop again, the uncompressed HDMI video output, or the feel of the thing in my hands. <

It's that sense of rightness that can be felt by an individual based on an experience, object, etc., but cannot be logically described or quantified. Does that matter? No! You have an instrument that is able to translate your vision, that "kick-in-your-gut" you felt, into a digital file that will accurately reflect that vision. Something about the D800 has connected with something "simmering" in your subconcious, in the back of your head that says, "This is right!"

> Whatever makes me feel this way about the camera is the same thing that makes me happy with my Jeep Wrangler and My Gibson Les Paul. When I see them, I smile and feel better about things. <

Comparable to what I felt when at a live peformance the artist "connects" with the band/orchestra and then both "connect" with the audience, e.g., peformance of "Wicked" in Chicago and several performances at "Yoshi's Jazz Club" in Oakland - when the performance becomes magic. I could go on to vinyl ecords that I have, urban areas, Yosemite at high water, the Pacific coast at sunset, Muir Woods after a rain, etc.

And then there was that late afternoon light in Chicago that has only be equaled by the light in Paris. There's also that European commercial for an oil company that features vintage Ferrari Formula One cars driven in urban areas that catches the excitement and edge-of-the-seat thrill of high-performance vehicles driven at 90+ percent.

Never owned a Gibson Les Paul or any guitar for that matter. But it is a matter of record that so many great guitarists, e.g., Neil Young, Jimmy Page, Jorma Kaukowen (sic), and others stated that it was their Les Paul that enabled them to "come into their own" and to translate their potential into songs, riffs, music.

> Is this merely pride of ownership? I don't know. I don't remember feeling this way about my D2X and I paid twice the amount for that camera. <

Nothing wrong with pride of ownership. My Nikon F4e was just ok with me; probably the reason why I always went back to the F3, my first professional Nikon that I owned, loved and hated to part with.

> I have an inkling that the feeling comes from the fact that I love medium-format photography. I used to carry around a Mamiya RB-67 and several lenses. This camera makes a better image than my wonderful 6x7cm Provia F transparencies. I think that's it! That's why I am so enamored with this camera. <

Go back to my first comemnt here.

> What makes you happy about the Nikon D800? <

I haven't bought a D800 and had abandoned the idea based on the cost. But now seeing the two waterfall-related photos here, maybe I should reconsider that. But I still haven't mastered my D200.

Respectfully submitted,
Mp

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Feeling the Nikon D800 Exuberance! [View all] , DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Sat 05-May-12 12:38 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Feeling the Nikon D800 Exuberance!