Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp

EpicDan

St. Paul, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp"

EpicDan Silver Member Charter Member
Mon 12-Mar-12 03:58 PM

Mike, as others have said the workflow shouldn't change with a new camera. The disk sizes will increase.

Here's my workflow. It isn't bullet proof (and I'm currently in a combat zone so maybe it should be bullet proof.) This process is similar to my process for the 4MP D2H files. The D800 just changes the data volume.

Take photos.
Remove card from camera and add new card as required. Keep shooting if mid-event.
Backup card in Hyperdrive #1
Backup card in Hyperdrive #2 for in-field backup.
Place card back in camera, format, keep shooting.

After the event download from Hyperdrive #1. Go to Hyperdrive #2 if something went bad.

When the Hyper drives get toward full I backup one or the other to a RAW hard drive. That way I've got at least one drive with everything. I haven't needed it but it is cheap.

Delete bad photos and post process as required. I save some ‘test’ photos but feel life is too short to save bad photos. The working drive is backed-up whenever it feels necessary. I'm not making a living on photos. I also don't like backup software - more into a manual system.

I maintain off-site backup drives at my brother's house. He maintains backup's at mine. We both use Truecrypt software on the drives so others cannot read it. We don't trade passwords. I suspect his password is difficult and obscure. Truecrypt software is stable and very effective. We have family days every few months.

New drives cost me +/- $100 per year so it is cheaper than cloud backups. It also doesn't have maintenance fees. On the other hand I expect that cloud backups are redundantly backed up as well. I could a limited amount of cloud backup, create an arrangement with my neighbor to run a CAT5 to their house, or finally build the garage and place something off-site there. Again, photography is not my moneymaker so I keep a reasonable backup.

Daniel McGowan
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp [View all] , pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Thu 08-Mar-12 01:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp