Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 09-Mar-12 09:14 AM

I just do not understand the confusion either. Printing the same size as before, viewing on a monitor the same size as before...where the whole image is in view, little or no difference would be seen or expected to be scene. The problem is that some people think that sharpness is revealed in 100% crops. No, sharpness is revealed in view-able images. The D800 will have more detail available to see with wider tone range and if inspecting data points at the limits of resolution, the good and bad of technique will be rewarded. But who on earth judges an image by inspecting pixels or paint dots, brush strokes? A problem is being focused on which is not a real life real world problem.
Lenses...smenses....anything that fits on it will work just fine, not worse than what you use it on now, except better AF, metering and DR. Sure, it you are concerned with ultimate IQ, you now, with the introduction of the D800, can get lenses with the capability of exceeding everything you have now. If I get one, the D800 with a kit DX 18-105 will still be a decent image taking combination because it is with my D7000, better than with the D90 it came with. Will my 85 1.4 work better? Sure, at least as well but surely better than what I get now...which is plenty. Why do people keep saying lenses will have to be replaced? Improving technique will allow the real goodness of your current lenses to be seen for the first time. That's a good thing.
If someone uses the same technique they were satisfied with with their older lower res camera, why would they be anything but satisfied with a wider DR, lower noise in low ISO(and likely higher ISO as well), wider tone range, finer detail, better AF, better metering, face tracking and any of the other enhancements? Sure, your technique will be tested if looking at 100% crops, but you are then looking at data that was not even collected before, so why be concerned with differences between what now you can see and what more you can see with a D800. Other than file size, there is absolutely no excuse expressed on any forum as to why the D800 is not a major enhancement to the cost/performance ratio, reserve quality waiting to be tapped into if the technique it there, and every criteria of performance and image related technical points.
Even the FPS would likely, being slightly lower, be a benefit, with the more intelligent AF system getting more but fewer images in focus per second. The difference between getting the optimum shot between 4-6 and 7-8 frames per second is the same as always....timing and anticipation. Slowing down and being more on control of the camera is not a bad thing, it will improve the number of keepers which are now notoriously low in spray and pray methods. The faster shutter response time of the D800 should be more welcome to skilled action shooters than a couple extra frames per second.
Overall, I see nothing that does not put the D800 into the superstar status of future classics that changes everything. The last one was the D3 and before that was a very long time ago.
At $3000, considering the relative value of the dollar, the D800 represents a major bargain compared to anything in the past. Does anyone remember what a F1 costs in terms of 2012 dollars? When I was shooting film, my A1 was "only" $625 with a normal 50mm lens. A 3 bedroom home in my area was $67,000...with swimming pool and 2,500sq ft. formal dinning room, 2 fireplaces and 3 full baths. I know because I bought them both the same year. So the D800 is 15 times the camera, at 1/15th the price. That works out to 225 times the value. It is a good time to be alive....;>)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp [View all] , pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Thu 08-Mar-12 01:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The jump from 12+ mgp to 35+ mgp