Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MattNord

santa barbara, US
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Prioritization?"

MattNord Registered since 04th Mar 2012
Tue 06-Mar-12 06:37 AM

Thank you so much for your informative reply!

I actually just managed to get my hands on a GT 3541LS for $650 on amazon. Seems they were selling them cheaper now when the new GT3542's came out. I have honestly never used such a high tech tripod before, and it's all very confusing. Do I need some sort of special leveling plate in between the ball head and the pod for easy panoramas and macro, or should I just put a Q10 on there and go for it? Also, if I want to put a focusing rail on it for macro, do I put that on the Q10, or how does it work?
And yes, I do travel quite a bit so the "4" outweighs the "3" for me.

For macro I plan on being very diverse, shooting anything that I find is interesting, of course including the smaller life forms. Do you think it might be worth to hold on for a while and save up to the 200mm for the range? Also, don't you get a very limited DOF with such a long lens? (I'm secretly also looking at the R1C1 flash system... but until I can justify that I'm going to use my SB-600 as a remote unit).

Good point about the 14-24. It's probably quite a pain to carry around as well. The 28mm sounds great! I looked it up and it seems the f2.8 AI/AI-s is just as good or better (couldn't find a f3.5 online), but only a little more expensive. I might just get that one for a very light setup (a few primes and the pod). Any experience with the 2.8?

Again, thank you for a very informative reply. This community has really helped me clear up some major questions in this sea of choices. I've literally spent 3 days reading through all the forums... hehe.

Mattias

A topic tagged as having a question Prioritization? [View all] , MattNord , Tue 06-Mar-12 12:18 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Prioritization?