Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MattNord

santa barbara, US
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Prioritization?"

MattNord Registered since 04th Mar 2012
Tue 06-Mar-12 01:18 AM

Hi all,
I recently joined Nikonians and this will be my first post. If it is in the wrong category I do apologize, but it spans so many subject that it was hard to choose.

So, to start off I have a D800 on order. Why? Because I want to print BIG, and because the little boy in me who wants the shiniest thing on the shelf has a pretty strong voice. What I plan on doing with it is mostly landscape and macro, but also quite a lot of street photography etc (moving to Tokyo from Santa Barbara in half a year, and this will be my only camera).
So here's the problem: Apart from the camera, I only want to spend about $2000-$3000 more on lenses, tripods and such. I'm a sucker for wide angle (another reason I chose to go with FX), and here's a list of things I want (I have a 50mm 1.8 which will serve as my "out and about" lens):

14-24mm f2.8 (duh)

85mm f1.8 for getting a little closer for street candids etc

Macro lens (thinking either the 105 or 200mm, trade off range/DOF, also been looking at the sigma 150mm)

Gitzo tripod, perhaps the Magica system? This will be used for primarily macro and panoramas. Looking specifically at the GT3541LS (been reading everything in the "support" section, and I know that if I don't get the best from the start I'll just end up paying twice).

Starting to see my problem? Way too many wants and not enough gold to spare. So, any advice? It's not that I'm choosing which to buy, but which to buy FIRST. All of them will find their way home eventually.

Oh, and to add a little background about myself I am not making money off of my shots, but I do consider myself an dedicated amateur shooting for his own pleasure.

Thank you,
Mattias

A topic tagged as having a question Prioritization? [View all] , MattNord , Tue 06-Mar-12 12:18 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Prioritization?