Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to get sharp pics with the D800?

mabuge

BE
54 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: How to get sharp pics with the D800?"

mabuge Registered since 18th Mar 2012
Fri 18-May-12 09:21 PM

mansurovs.com/dslr-autofocus-modes-explained

I found all chapters - especially chapter 4 Autofocus Scenarios and Examples - very useful, next to the recommendations given by others in this thread to increase the speed or to use a tripod, and to use focus priority whenever possible or until one learns how the photographer-camera-lens combination behaves in different circumstances.

For handheld you can rather easily find out what the best speed is for the combination photographer-camera-lens (with or without VR), by making use of the Auto ISO settings. I found the different minimum shutter speeds based on focal length pretty useful to learn about the camera+lens, in particular about the one handling it . There's a scale with 5 speed tuning levels, each next level about doubles the speed of the previous level in relation to the focal length used. For example if you're using a focal length of 80 mm you get approximately following minimum speeds:

1/4 of 80 => 1/20 s
1/2 of 80 => 1/40 s
1/1 of 80 => 1/80 s
2/1 of 80 => 1/160 s
4/1 of 80 => 1/320 s

I made series of 5 pictures of the same scene with my 24-120/4 VR set at a focal length of 24, 40, 80, 120, so in total 20 pictures, all at f/8, followed by a pixel peeping session. The major problem is mimicking the way you take the first picture in each of the series, including breathing, position of the body, arms, feet. I had to redo two of the series. Of course light and wind conditions should be the same. I set maximum sensitivity to 3200 ISO, accordingly I had 5 ISO stops available, just in case (the light conditions weren't that good when I tried this). It was an interesting experiment, and I will do it again. For the time being I set speeds at the higher side (2/1).

Best, Marc

This is a hot, active topic! How to get sharp pics with the D800? [View all] , ExtremePic , Mon 23-Apr-12 07:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to get sharp pics with the D800?