Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to get sharp pics with the D800?

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: How to get sharp pics with the D800?"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Fri 04-May-12 11:31 AM

I've always shot all my cameras (D2h/D200//D300/D700) in AF-C focus priority mode whenever possible.

In the case where I absolutely need the camera to fire then I use Focus + Release. I never use simple release mode.

Even in situations where my frame rate is so critical that I've gone back and checked the EXIF times to test this, I have not personally seen any significant reduction in frame rate. In other words, maybe I get 7 or 7.,5 instead of 8 but I don't consider that "significant" in the context where I cared (and I really do care for a certain sport I shoot every fall).

This is all to say that I've used Focus+Release for 7 years now and never seen a good reason to use simple Release mode. My theory is that Focus+Release might wait a few 10's of milliseconds to get focus fully caught up but it won't wait much longer.

I shoot Focus Priority in most cases because I've gotten to the point where for most things I shoot I either want it in perfect focus or I don't want to bother filling my card with junk. This is a religious and philosophical thing; there is no right answer to the question of the "right mode" except to find our own least evil. I do lose a lot of shots because of it but I also think the shots I get are overall better quality. If my priorities change for a certain situation, I change mode. I'm not totally dogmatic about this

my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! How to get sharp pics with the D800? [View all] , ExtremePic , Mon 23-Apr-12 07:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to get sharp pics with the D800?