Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-(

CypressC

Austin, US
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-("

CypressC Registered since 25th Jan 2012
Thu 09-Feb-12 01:19 PM | edited Thu 09-Feb-12 01:24 PM by CypressC

Get the D700. You will love it and not regret it for a second. I got one three years ago when it came out and was amazed at the low light/high ISO capabilities. Since then, the D3s has taken low light to the next level, but the D700 still does more than everything I could possibly ask of it. The first FX lens I put on it was a 50mm 1.4g -- and I didn't take it off the camera for almost a year because I was having so much fun shooting without a flash in places I never cold shoot before (dark restaurants, dimly lit parties, concerts, etc) - fast primes on a D700 are like having night vision! You can shoot in ridiculously low light with slow shutter speeds you would never otherwise consider with a D90.

Personally, I am not considering the D800. I don't care one lick about video, I don't need 36MP files for the type of shooting I do, and the D800 seems to be more of an extension of the D3x - high resolution. If the D700 wasn't enough low light for me, I would get a D3s or wait for a D4s/D800s. Short of those three models (two of which don't even exist), the D700 can't be beat.

_____
D700 and fast primes.

A general, generic topic D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-( [View all] , Pick of Penang , Wed 08-Feb-12 02:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-(