Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-(

Pick of Penang

MY
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-("

Pick of Penang Registered since 09th Nov 2011
Wed 08-Feb-12 03:43 AM

Currently I have a Nikon D90 with a couple of DX lenses but also some FX. For many shots I can continue to use the D90, esp as a travel camera with just one or two lenses.

Lately though I have needed to shoot a lot more indoors in low light with no flash and the D90 has struggled at times with the light conditions. I considered getting a D7000 which clearly is better in low light but then thought about an FX to gain some of the other benefits as well.

At first I thought I'd get a D700 as that seemed to fit the bill, good low light but without the price tag of the D3. The D4 has come out which has great low-light but a mega-price tag. Too much for my needs. I held off then because the D800 was coming and was sorry to see that its low light performance is the same as the D700, possibly worse if you take into account the 36MP sensor I sure don't need video or any of the other improvements the D800 brings over the D700 and it seems Nikon intend restricting very good low light performance to the D3/4 range.

So, bit of a dilemma now. I need MUCH better low light than the D90. MUCH better. I could go for a D700 or, considering the price of a D800, could opt for a D3S. Hard decision to make really. I'm figuring a D700 might be the best option?

A general, generic topic D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-( [View all] , Pick of Penang , Wed 08-Feb-12 02:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 - A bit underwhelmed (low-light) :-(