Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My beef with the D800 - Speed!

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"My beef with the D800 - Speed!"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 09-Feb-12 10:42 PM

When a new camera hits like this, there will always be people for whom the spec sheet misses the mark, and we hear a lot from them. For me, this camera is basically what I've been waiting for to take the plunge into FX.

There is one aspect that has me scratching my head on what to do...

I currently shoot 2 bodies, a D7000 and D300s. These cameras are close enough in spec and quality that I basically treat them as equivalents. When working landscapes, typically I have 10-24 on my D7000 and 70-200 on the D300s, and that has worked really well. For events, it's 17-50 on the D7K and 70-200 on the D300s. When I'm only grabbing one camera, for walkabout shooting, or shooting around the house, it's the D7000.

For birding however, it's hands-down the D300s, for its 7fps frame rate and AF system.

Looking at the D800E, I will sell one of these cameras. Which one?

Ideally I'd keep the D7K. This allows me to go back to standardizing on one battery, which will be nice. It also keeps me with a relatively small/light option for walkaround shooting.

Problem is, if I do that, I'd be jettisoning my go-to birding camera and I'm not sure the D800E's frame rates in DX-crop mode make it a good replacement. Maybe I buy the battery grip - at 6fps that's close enough, but I'd really rather be there without the grip, as I am with the D300s.

So, the other option is to sell the D7K and continue to live with 2 battery systems. That will have some level of comfort as well, as the D800 & D300s probably share more in control & menu layout which will make it easier to switch between the bodies.

It's a shame to me they couldn't have gone 6fps in DX crop and 8fps with battery or something, then this would be a no-brainer. Anyway, it's clear the D800 is a landscape/studio camera, and doesn't really replace my speed camera.

Any advice on this I'd be glad to hear it (bearing in mind, the speed complaint while somewhat TIC, it does create this dilemma).

My other beef is the round eyepiece.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic My beef with the D800 - Speed! [View all] , MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography , Thu 09-Feb-12 09:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My beef with the D800 - Speed!