Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Susceptibility of D800 to Motion Blur

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13632 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: I remember..."

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 12-Feb-12 07:03 PM | edited Sun 12-Feb-12 07:11 PM by dm1dave

They also were not able to instantly view the image at the tremendous magnification that people routinely do today. Unfortunately many people do/will expect perfect sharpness when an unprocessed image is viewed at 100% on their relatively low resolution computer screens.

The monitor I am using right now displays about 100 PPI so if I were to view a D800 image at 100% it would be the equivalent of viewing a 73.6 inch wide image (At less than half normal print resolution) with about an 18 inch viewing distance. I would not expect to see tack sharp details at such a large size at such a low resolution.

We will see many posts stating that the D800 is soft or that it has some sort of focus problem based on the unrealistic expectations of people pixel peeping such large files.

Once the image is processed, printed and viewed at a normal (normal = a distance that the entire is visible all at once) viewing distance most of these perceived issues will disappear. Remember if you output at 300 PPI to print a D800 image at full resolution the image will only be 24 inches wide compared to viewing at 100% when the image is about 73 inches wide.

So for all practical purposes I agree.... "Much ado about nothing..."

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

A general, generic topic Susceptibility of D800 to Motion Blur [View all] , GeneRW Gold Member , Sun 12-Feb-12 04:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Susceptibility of D800 to Motion Blur
Reply message I remember...
Reply message RE: I remember...
     Reply message Maybe so...
     Reply message RE: Maybe so...