Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can Capture Sharpening Equilize the Sharpness of D800 w...

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16964 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Can Capture Sharpening Equilize the Sharpness of D800 with D800E?"

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Tue 14-Feb-12 03:20 AM

It's in 2.3. It's located at the top of the Camera and Lens Correction section, but it's suppressed and not visible unless you have a raw file open. It doesn't need to be a D800 file - any Nikon raw file should work. Something that seems unfortunate to me is that it's a global setting rather than a local one (a la NR4). That means the entire image could be affected by activating it (it has low, medium and high parameters), but in quick experiments I did with other raw files, cranking it up didn't seem to affect the image as a whole, so maybe it's quite smart and will attack only areas where it perceives moire. If that didn't work you could always generate two conversions out of 2.3 - one with moire correction active and the other with it inactive, layer them in Photoshop and then paint in a portion of the image with the correction enabled.

BTW, my personal experience with higher res (not as high as the D800) cameras lacking an AA filter is that moire didn't show up much at all in my photos, but the images sure looked nice. It was a pretty rare thing to see it, and I really had to hunt to find it. The D800e should be a bit better for several reasons, so I'm not expecting a big problem on that front for the kinds of things I do. I have three different software packages on my computers that will remove or diminish it (LR4, Capture One, and NX2), so I figure one of them should work. There are also more cumbersome techniques in Photoshop, but I think I should be able to avoid that. Some of this we won't know until the camera is out in distribution and some experimentation can be done.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

A general, generic topic Can Capture Sharpening Equilize the Sharpness of D800 w... [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Mon 13-Feb-12 10:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can Capture Sharpening Equilize the Sharpness of D8...