Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Memory Card / Storage

DVDMike

Metro Atlanta, US
2225 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 Memory Card / Storage"

DVDMike Registered since 25th Mar 2003
Mon 13-Feb-12 11:01 PM | edited Mon 13-Feb-12 11:11 PM by DVDMike

The actual file sizes in MB are going to be important to know before we try to decide what kind of cards that we are going to need.

I am using 12GB cards now (in slot 1) to shoot weddings with my D3 and I usually do not have to swap any cards for a normal wedding. But sometimes even this is not enough. I am just wondering if I need to go to 32GB or 64GB for the CF (slot 1) where I record loss-less compressed 14 bit NEF's (sometimes 12 bit for reception shots) In slot 2 I record a backup JPG and highest resolution and I use 8GB cards and never have to swap.

The jpg's on the Nikon web site that I downloaded range from 24MB to 31MB for some of the D800E images. So I am not sure what to expect from the NEF's. I do not care about tiff.

If the average JPG is 25MB, if I shot 800 images at a wedding, that is about 19GB just for my JPG in camera backup files. So I think that I would need to go to a 32GB SDHC card. Based on this math, I think that I am going to need at least a 64GB CF card to shoot an entire wedding's worth of NEF's on one card. Some weddings, I shoot 1000 shots. I may have to rethink shooting the reception at less than the 32MP resolution that the camera allows for. The size of these files may really necessitate some significant changes in the way I shoot and edit.

While I think that my workstation will be able to process the larger images without too many hiccups, I am worried about backups. After I download images from my card, I immediately copy them to a RAID-1 NAS. Then after I rate them in lightroom, I delete the worst ones and copy the rest to DVD-R for "long term" storage. I doubt that I would be writing the D800 NEF's to DVD-R. There would be too many of them. I have a blu-ray burner but I have not gone to the expense of using it yet to back things up. I may start using a hard drive for long term backups, I don't know at this time. A lot depends on how big these files really are.

A general, generic topic D800 Memory Card / Storage [View all] , Pookoo , Mon 13-Feb-12 01:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Memory Card / Storage