Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorde...

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorder?"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Wed 15-Feb-12 03:08 PM

>We usually shoot with the Sony PMW-EX1R XDCAM EX. Its usually
>as a 'B' Camera to the main camera (ARI ALEXA etc).
>
>I don't disagree with anything you've posted ... but I do hope
>that a DSLR on a tripod, or steadycam rig will shoot nice
>video that surpasses the consumer $1500 - $3000 video camera.

Well, I'd suspect it would if for no other reason than the glass. Putting something like a Nanoflash on it should get you reasonably clean plates.

>As a VFX supervisor we shoot HDR environmental reference and
>it'd be great to be able to shoot some nice plates in HD as
>well.

If you've shot DSLR video, your undoubtedly aware at how poor the video has been. The resolution is terrible compared to even a mid-priced camcorder. Is there no way you could be looking at something like a Sony FS100 or something of that ilk?

>Any chance you could list out some specific stuff for me to
>consider when shooting video with this camera ? These sites
>are interesting http://www.rigwheels.com/ and
>http://cinetics.com/.

To be honest, we've mostly shot the 5D on rails (RedRock Micro), on my Fig Rig, or on dolly. We have used a steadicam but the rig was so light, the steadicam springs couldn't cope. It needed another 10 pounds of weight!

Those rigwheels look Fantastic! I jumped out of filmmaking about 18 months ago to get this photography business going. The producer of the last two films just called for a meeting with me this month to plan the next film, so I know I've got something coming up. I need to catch up on all the stuff I've missed. I let my American Cinematographer go during this time period as well so I've been WAY out of the loop.

>
>___________________________________________________________
>
>Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -
> A. Einstein

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorde... [View all] , alphaod , Tue 14-Feb-12 12:27 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camc...