Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorde...

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorder?"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Wed 15-Feb-12 02:23 PM

>I sort of disagree with the sentiment here.
>
>I shoot video all the time for my job.

What kind of video, and what kind of camera are you using now?

>What I am most looking
>forward to about the D800 (aside from finally moving to FX
>for my stills) is the ability to use Nikon glass for my video.

The Canon SLRs happily take Nikon glass with a $15 adapter and I've been doing that for years.

>I am also hoping that the stated UNCOMPRESSED video through
>HDMI is accurate and that the supporting gear for this doesn't
>cost an arm and a leg.

You will likely NOT be recording uncompressed video into a portable recorder. The cheapest of these that I am aware of is the Codex at about $80k. There are numerous options to record compressed video via the HDMI output of any camera. These generally range from $2k - $6k. There are some units slightly cheaper, but they record video in about the same quality as recording in camera, so they are rather pointless for this application. They were useful when people were recording to tape in camera.

>I am not a video 'expert', but I have shot/or been exposed to
>quite a few video platforms (a video camera under $5Gs I
>believe might get you substandard results compared to a really
>nice lens on the D800) .. of course this is all purely
>speculation.

There are a few options in the $3500-$5k range that will give results similar to the Canon DSLRs, and presumably the Nikon D800/D4 since they are all using about the same recording scheme, and the same frame size.

>The RED Scarlett or the Canon XF305 for example ends up
>surpassing the 15G range immediately once you add all the
>components they require.

I came within a breath of buying a Scarlet, but the ISO performance did not meet my needs. I had money in hand on release day. I was quite disappointed with that to be honest. And a ready to shoot Scarlet or C300 is closer to $20k, not $15k.

>I think this may be an all in one answer for my needs and stay
>under 5 grand ... time will tell.

Good luck with that. I've found building a truly shootable DSLR rig costs about $3500 starting with the T2i...a $900 DSLR.

>I agree that you need to support the camera with some pricey
>gear though if shooting serious video. I also agree that
>handheld wont work as the stabilization surely cant compare to
>a good camcorder.

A common set of rails, shoulder pad, viewing monitor, and recorder puts in you the $3-4k range. And that's without the camera.

> I also think the ergonomics of shooting video with a nice camcorder feel better than shooting video with a DSLR.

I'd take my EX1 all day, every day over shooting a DSLR if it had the look. I am about to shoot another film in a few months and am really debating about what to shoot it on. I have 4 video capable DSLRs, and really don't want to use any of them.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorde... [View all] , alphaod , Tue 14-Feb-12 12:27 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camc...