Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorde...

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorder?"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Tue 14-Feb-12 11:46 AM

I've shot two films on the 5D (check my IMDB page) and our third will likely be shot on the D800 if it's up to the task. But the support system needed to shoot DSLR properly for that kind of use often outstrips the price of the camera. Unlike a camcorder, DSLRs don't do video well if you simply hold them in your hands.

Editing DSLR video is no picnic either. All the people here complaining about how big the NEFs are from the D800... Start playing with the video and see what happens to your hard drive space. There's a reason I have 10TB available for my film projects.

For anyone who is NOT trying to make a film, a camcorder is probably the right answer 99% of the time. Shooting video in low light is a bad proposition no matter WHAT gear you have. VERY few people serious about it will push beyond 800 ISO.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camcorde... [View all] , alphaod , Tue 14-Feb-12 12:27 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade to the D800 or pick up dedicated video camc...