Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would D800e add anything to my type of work?

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2683 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Would D800e add anything to my type of work?"

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Sun 26-Feb-12 08:58 AM

The title of your post refers to the 800E. Do you mean the 800E specifically or the 800/800E generally? In either case, it is unlikely that you will see a significant improvement over your current D7000 in your professional work. Web images are restricted to about 1 megapixel and books to about 7 megapixels (assuming 8 by 10 inches at 300 pixels per inch). In your professional work, what you gain is convenience and maybe speed. This is so because when you mount your 105mm Micro-Nikkor, its field of view is larger on the D800 by a factor of about 1.5, as compared to the same lens on the D7000. The benefit is that you can fire away without thinking about compositing, framing or precise cropping. Unless you plan to print very large pictures (over 20-30 inches), you may have a hard time justifying the acquisition of the D800(E).

As a purely amateur photographer, I have a luxury that professionals lack. I don’t have the base my photographic acquisitions on rational grounds. I ordered the D800E within days it was announced. Why? Because I’ve been a Nikon user for about 40 years and for decades I’ve been watching as Canon makes cameras with better nominal specs (that don’t necessarily translate to better pictures). For me, owning the camera that is arguably the best camera ever for landscape and wildlife photography is reason enough for me.

Regards, Antero

A general, generic topic Would D800e add anything to my type of work? [View all] , baseelo Gold Member , Sun 26-Feb-12 06:29 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Would D800e add anything to my type of work?