Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ordered a D800e but now, second thoughts about a D7000 ...

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Ordered a D800e but now, second thoughts about a D7000 ..."

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 05-Mar-12 03:34 PM | edited Mon 05-Mar-12 03:36 PM by MotoMannequin

Do you find you typically crop images from your D7000?

If the answer is yes, then I think you have nothing to gain from D800 and would be better served waiting for the D400. Once you crop the D800 image to or past DX lines, you've basically go the same resolution and same frame rate as the D7000, standing to gain (theoretically) in noise or dynamic range performance from the newer D800 tech. I think that's not $3000 worth of upgrade.

For bird shooting, I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster that both cameras you're talking about have too limited a frame rate. With a D7000 in my bag, my D300s is still my go-to bird camera for its 7fps, and I expect it to remain so after I take delivery of D800. D800 will be a killer landscape camera, but it's a specialized machine. The low frame rate creates a liability for distant, fast-moving wildlife.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A topic tagged as having a question Ordered a D800e but now, second thoughts about a D7000 ... [View all] , HSSwan Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest , Mon 05-Mar-12 01:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ordered a D800e but now, second thoughts about a D7...
Reply message Some thoughts on the D800 for birds...