Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New D800 or Used D3s"

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Tue 06-Mar-12 08:53 PM

>I am curious as to why you think the D800 will be your goto
>for sports ... I mean since it has a much slower continuous
>shutter release ...
>
>thanks

Frame rate is not critical to me. It's helpful, but not critical. I grew up shooting sports with a manual winding film camera and was lucky to get a shot off every 2-3 seconds, and have it be in focus.

Far more important to me, is the ability to crop. The ability to crop and still have a significant amount of pixels means I can forgo buying VERY expensive longer telephoto lenses. The D800's ability to crop will mean I don't have to buy a 400/2.8 (which saves me ~$10,000), and I don't have to consider the 600/F4 (which saves me about ~$12,000). That's $22k I don't have to spend in glass, merely because a $3k camera will allow me to crop reasonably cleanly to those magnifications.

It's excellent ISO performance means I can use the camera in places I can't use anything I own other than my D3s cameras. That is a HUGE bonus for me.

The fact that it will also act as a primary fashion/studio camera also is yet another bonus, and saves me from spending $15k on the Pentax 645 I had been considering.

For me, this is the best bargain to come along from Nikon EVER.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New D800 or Used D3s [View all] , shmulb Silver Member , Sun 04-Mar-12 01:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D800 or Used D3s