Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5032 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 in camera HDR"

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Thu 08-Mar-12 11:57 AM

>From what I've read I believe it takes 2 exposures, 2 stops
>apart, in one raising of the mirror, then combines them into
>one JPEG. I don't know if there's an option to retain the 2
>raw files if shooting in raw mode, but HDR output is jpeg
>only. This IMO makes it really an enthusiast and not a
>professional feature (maybe they're playing to KR directly?)

Agree with this Larry. It's called HDR because it uses the HDR approach of multiple images at different exposures. But "multiple" in this case is only 2, so it's usefulness is limited. If you have a difficult contrast range it should give you a somewhat better result but is no substitute for more exposures where 2 doesn't cover the exposure range of the scene.

>I wish Nikon would add a feature that shoots an entire
>exposure bracket (with adjustable exposure increments past 1
>stop) without unnecessarily slapping the mirror around.
>Bracketing for HDR I don't want to re-adjust AF and I don't
>want to re-adjust meter reading, so no need to drop the
>mirror. Olympus had this right years ago. Nikon is still
>thinking in terms of traditional exposure bracketing for film
>and not really in tune with what people are doing these days
>regarding this feature.

Agree with this also. Bracketing without the added mirror slaps would be desirable. I often use manual focus anyway for HDR brackets. I also wanted bracket increments of greater than 1 stop available. I was disappointed when I saw that Nikon still limits brackets to a one stop difference. Often times one stop over/under doesn't cover the range and 2 stops over/under would work fine. Instead I have to do five or more one stop increments to get to the ends of the range.

John

A general, generic topic D800 in camera HDR [View all] , outdoors4me , Wed 07-Mar-12 11:15 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 in camera HDR