Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D800 in camera HDR"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 08-Mar-12 02:27 AM | edited Thu 08-Mar-12 02:29 AM by MotoMannequin

From what I've read I believe it takes 2 exposures, 2 stops apart, in one raising of the mirror, then combines them into one JPEG. I don't know if there's an option to retain the 2 raw files if shooting in raw mode, but HDR output is jpeg only. This IMO makes it really an enthusiast and not a professional feature (maybe they're playing to KR directly?)

I wish Nikon would add a feature that shoots an entire exposure bracket (with adjustable exposure increments past 1 stop) without unnecessarily slapping the mirror around. Bracketing for HDR I don't want to re-adjust AF and I don't want to re-adjust meter reading, so no need to drop the mirror. Olympus had this right years ago. Nikon is still thinking in terms of traditional exposure bracketing for film and not really in tune with what people are doing these days regarding this feature.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic D800 in camera HDR [View all] , outdoors4me , Wed 07-Mar-12 11:15 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 in camera HDR