Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To 'E' or not to 'E'...

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: To 'E' or not to 'E'..."

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 08-Mar-12 12:36 PM

For some reason, Thom thinks bird feathers might be OK and I hope he is correct It was just a quick comment one day on his blog saying that there is enough irregularity in feathers, them being non-man-made, that he thought it would be OK. He may be basing it on his assistant who has been shooting a non-AA D3X (and other non-AA cameras) for a while now. Eric please keep us posted with your 800E experiences!

I have four areas of my shooting I have potential concerns about:
- bird feathers;
- architecture. I tend do shoot this while on vacations with wife and family.
- video. On TV the other day on a reality-TV show I saw some ghastly moire on a guys suit that was glowing and weaving (Imagine moire that writhes and pulses) It was a nightmare, the guy looked like a clown with a pulsing suit. I believe Nikon implies the 800E video won't be any more prone than the 800 for video moire due to "processing" IIRC.
- fabrics on actors on stage. This latter one though, I am rationalizing away because I would be typically shooting at least ISO 3200 in low light and one starts to lose detail at very high ISO, so I think it just won't provoke the high frequency detail that causes moire. Any comments on this high ISO theory of mine?

We already know that stopping down to invoke diffraction or changing angles and distance will eliminate moire (if you happen to detect it at shooting time). How about the high ISO theory - with the associated loss of detail, will that prevent moire also?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

This is a hot, active topic! To 'E' or not to 'E'... [View all] , makiru Silver Member , Wed 29-Feb-12 06:01 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To 'E' or not to 'E'...