Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To 'E' or not to 'E'...

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: To 'E' or not to 'E'..."

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 07-Mar-12 07:36 PM

I've been reading up on the 800/800E and will be getting the D800E.

My worry areas is feather detail in bird photography where moire may be an issue. I still have some concern about moire - specifically in this one area.

The NikonUSA website has some good discussion and examples of moire, but little in the context of fur or feathers. The issue comes up most often with architecture or on clothing with fine patterns.

The Leica M9 does not have an AA filter. This link to a Leica site provides come nice context about how rarely the issue comes up.
http://lavidaleica.com/content/anti-aliasing-filter-primer

I've also done a good bit of browsing on Leica forums and the consensus is that the problem is uncommon to rare. Now if I shot weddings, this would mean specific guidelines to the wedding party and family members to avoid wearing fine patterned clothing. I would also probably shoot the veil and other details with another camera part of the time.

As far as Capture NX2 is concerned, the latest release does have moire removal. It comes as a global setting under camera and lens corrections. You can choose the strength of correction desired - off, low, medium or high. I tried the setting with a dog photo looking at fur that had no moire - it did not make any difference at 100%.

So for me, I'm biting the bullet and going with the 800E. I have seen increased sharpness and heard that from Leica owners. My experience with a D200 converted for IR and removing the AA filter only has one image with moire out of about 10,000 shooting landscape and architecture. I'm going to try the moire removal tool on that image to see what happens.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! To 'E' or not to 'E'... [View all] , makiru , Wed 29-Feb-12 06:01 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To 'E' or not to 'E'...