Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R...

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" Resolution Prints?"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Sat 03-Mar-12 05:18 PM

>The D200 can't get to 13x19 inches without upsizing by quite
>a large amount - for instance, at 300 ppi the native print
>size is 8.64 x 12.91 inches. The D800 on the other hand will
>go to 16.37 x 24.53 inches without upsizing - very nearly
>twice as big in both directions.

When I start talking about things like storage capacity, processing power, glass and lighting, I'm moving away from the thought experiment and taking the example into the real world. Really by limiting this to 13" wide I've been extremely conservative in what I've stated above.

The truth of the matter is, your eye can't resolve 300 dpi at a typical print viewing distance, many subjects don't contain this level of detail anyway, and moderate amounts of upsampling and sharpening will provide detail plenty adequate for printing this size.

My experience tells me that with quality pixels from capture to print, it's almost impossible to differentiate between 6MP and 12MP in a 13x19" print, despite the apparent lack of resolution of 6MP. I'd say it's safe to extrapolate from this, issues of noise and dynamic range aside, that 36MP won't yield a significant improvement either. This is why I mention D700, which will do a better job leveling the noise/DR playing field than D200.

I stand by my summary above. Your D800 either comes with a really big printer, or you're not going to realize any benefits over cheaper cameras already available today.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

This is a hot, active topic! Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R... [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Fri 02-Mar-12 07:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Nativ...