Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R...

elec164

US
2576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" Resolution Prints?"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Wed 07-Mar-12 02:55 PM

>Try this...
>
>Get a ruler marked with single millimeter increments. Tape it
>to a wall and stand 11.3 feet away. See if you can clearly
>resolve the millimeter lines.

That would be a bit of an ambitious task, but I don’t know if it’s worth it for me to do it.

In my younger days I was just myopic, but now in my advanced years I am both myopic and hyperopic. Top that off with the onset of cataracts, and I question what such a test and resulting information would do for me.

Having said that, I decided to dig out those test prints and see if how the change in my sight might affect the results. Well, it didn’t. Under the incandescent lighting I picked the 150 PPI print as the better, with the 240 and 300 a close second and third with the 120 PPI dead last. Under direct sunlight I picked the 300 PPI print as the better, with the 150 and 240 print a close second and third with the poor 120 PPI dead last once again.I even tried the test under a three-way compact fluorescent topping out at 100 watt equivalent luminance, and the results were the same as the incandescent (didn’t have one during the original testing).

On a side note, each of those prints viewed on their own looked great. It was only via a side by side close inspection that I was able to place them in an order of quality.

But this exchange does once again peak my curiosity about inkjet resolution (I know this is a hotly debated and contested topic). And now that I can best 400 PPI at my maximum print size (8.5x11 inch) with my D7000 images, I just might be inclined to expend the energy to see if greater than 300 PPI will result in a better print under direct sunlight viewing.

There are those of the opinion that one can see appreciable difference in 600 PPI images. One such vocal proponent is Dr. Clarke with his ’Experiments with Pixels Per Inch (PPI) on Printed Image Sharpness’ article .

But bottom line for the original question, I agree with the viewpoint that with the average viewing conditions, unless you are making very large prints and viewing them closer than expected normal distance, you will most likely not see an appreciable increase in image resolution from D800 files over say D700 files.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R... [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Fri 02-Mar-12 07:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Nativ...