Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R...

elec164

US
2597 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" Resolution Prints?"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Mon 05-Mar-12 03:43 PM

>My advice is to make three 8x10 or 8x12 prints from the same
>image. That image should be shot from a tripod, if possible,
>or otherwise selected by careful pixel peeping to make sure it
>delivers all the resolution you think your camera is capable
>of. Don't crop it except to aspect ratio if you do 8x10's.
>

Neil, I sort of did part of your suggested experiment, although I used PPI settings that were evenly divisible into my inkjets DPI (that’s a topic for a whole other lengthy discussion). That was in my inane days of searching for my inkjets native PPI. I am now convinced that output devices really only print dots not pixels, although in some cases the dots can be directly related to pixels (dye-sub and traditional laser based wet processed prints).

And as you, I am age appropriately close focus challenged (limited to no closer than 15 inches with my cheaters on).

As you said, I chose a print with what I determined would be sufficient detail that was shot using a tri-pod and remote release. I made four 8.5x11 prints at 300, 240, 150 and 120PPI. What I found was rather surprising. The lighting conditions greatly affected my impression of fine detail viewable.

I first viewed the prints under a 100 watt incandescent bulb inside a frosted globe that was over my dining room table. Under that condition I reliably picked the 150 PPI print as providing the most detail, with the 300 and 240 PPI print a close second and third. That and other further testing led me to believe that my inkjets native color photographic resolution was around 140PPI. But when I went to scan the prints to see if I could use them as a sample in a discussion in another forum, I was floored to see that 100% crops showed the 300PPI print as containing more detail (which led to further experimentation).

So I then took the prints outside and viewed them in both direct sunlight and open shade. I then with regularity picked the 300 PPI print as the most detailed, with the 150 and 240 PPI prints a close second and third.

No matter what the viewing conditions, I was always reliably able to choose the 120 PPI print as the lowest detailed print. It was then that I stopped worrying about what PPI the print was when sending to my inkjet for printing, and just cropped and printed whatever it came out to. I originally made that test using my D80 images which would peak at 304 PPI at that print size. I want to repeat the test now that I have a D7000 and can provide greater PPI settings, but have not had the time nor desire to do so as of yet.

I know this probably raises more questions than answers, and can cause an ensuing hot debate. But I hope others may find my experiences and opinions helpful.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R... [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Fri 02-Mar-12 07:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Nativ...