Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R...

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" Resolution Prints?"

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Mon 05-Mar-12 12:58 AM

Thanks to eveyone for the additional comments. I am trying to understand what we may reasonably expect from the D800. The "native" print size of photos is about 13" x 20". I am an amateur who makes a lot more 8"x10" prints than 13"x20" or larger. To make a print smaller than the native size one can either print at a higher ppi or downres, thereby "throwing away" pixels. I understand that most agree that printing at greater than 360 ppi (or dpi, I guess is the more accurate term for printing) does not produce a print of any greater quality. So, as observed by others, it seems that the higher resolution of the D800 does not in itself produce any greater quality print unless one is printing at or above its native print size.

On the other hand I expect hand holding the D800 to be a real challenge unless one is shooting at very high shutter speeds. Therefore it seems to me that in some situations the huge number of pixels in the D800 may actually make it harder to produce a print that is equal quality to a print made with a "lesser pixel" camera.

Please don't start throwing things at me or putting me on any hate lists. As I mentioned I have ordered a D800 and am looking forward to getting it. However, like any tool, it probably will not do everything better than other cameras and we will have to sort out which photos are best shot with it and which photos are perhaps best shot with a lesser pixel camera. Those of you who shoot with a D3X: What is your experience with shooting with all those pixels? Do you find it challenging? Do you have any advice (other than have a good tripod ready) for those of us who are venturing into this scary unknown land of super megapixels?

JDT

This is a hot, active topic! Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Native" R... [View all] , jim thomas Silver Member , Fri 02-Mar-12 07:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Will Higher Resolution of D800 Be Visible in "Nativ...