Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: You need to be careful here Tom..."

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 10-Mar-12 12:54 PM

<An f/2.8 lens on DX will act like a f/4 lens on FX, because, in order to achieve the same framing and composition, one will either need to shoot DX at a wider angle, or get farther away from the subject. >

This is the main reason I see FX as being preferred for wildlife if you have enough reach. The subject isolation of shooting a longer focal length for the same framing is superior if you are looking for a smooth, blurred background.

Now the assumption is you have to have enough reach to fill the frame. If you lack reach and are simply cropping the image, you lose this benefit. Historically, the issue then shifts to pixels on the subject and other factors such as ISO.

We have had several threads talking about the relative benefit of the large image of the D800 reducing noise. That benefit is reduced and eliminated as you move to smaller crops - and at a DX crop mode is essentially the same as the D7000. But the relative comparison with cropping a D3 or D700 will be unchanged since those FX bodies require a crop as well.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic 800 as DX crop or not [View all] , dhmiller Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Fri 09-Mar-12 04:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 800 as DX crop or not
     Reply message Sure, viewfinder magnification...
          Reply message RE: Sure, viewfinder magnification...
               Reply message True...
                    Reply message RE: True...
                         Reply message Well, more or less...
Reply message As I recall, Bill Claff's numbers indicate...
Reply message RE: As I recall, Bill Claff's numbers indicate...
     Reply message No, Tom's right about that...
          Reply message You need to be careful here Tom...
               Reply message RE: You need to be careful here Tom...
                    Reply message RE: You need to be careful here Tom...
                         Reply message Well Eric...
     Reply message Yes, that's right Tom...
          Reply message RE: Yes, that's right Tom...