Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 800 as DX crop or not"

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 09-Mar-12 11:01 PM

The image you get either way would be the same, however there is one difference: When you set any FX camera to DX mode, then it will meter only based on the DX frame. That may not make a difference in most cases, but in case you have, say, some bright highlights outside of the DX frame (but still within the FX frame), then the camera would expose for them in FX mode, and your DX post processing crop may be underexposed. By setting the camera to DX, the meter would consider only the DX frame and choose the best exposure based on that.

So this would lead one to believe that in-camera crop has the advantage, in addition to requiring less storage since the files are smaller. But there is also a significant downside: With in-camera crop you are forced to the crop of the exact central portion of the image. No way to adjust that later (except to crop further into the DX frame). If you shoot FX and crop later, you are free to crop any portion of the FX frame into a DX image, i.e. the left side, or right side, or top or bottom. I've had plenty of cases where my subject was small enough to fit into the DX frame (i.e. flying bird), but I did not manage to keep it centered perfectly in the frame. If I had set the camera to DX crop, some wing would usually be missing on one side or the other. By shooting FX, I can adjust the crop later.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

A general, generic topic 800 as DX crop or not [View all] , dhmiller Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Fri 09-Mar-12 04:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 800 as DX crop or not
     Reply message Sure, viewfinder magnification...
          Reply message RE: Sure, viewfinder magnification...
               Reply message True...
                    Reply message RE: True...
                         Reply message Well, more or less...
Reply message As I recall, Bill Claff's numbers indicate...
Reply message RE: As I recall, Bill Claff's numbers indicate...
     Reply message No, Tom's right about that...
          Reply message You need to be careful here Tom...
               Reply message RE: You need to be careful here Tom...
                    Reply message RE: You need to be careful here Tom...
                         Reply message Well Eric...
     Reply message Yes, that's right Tom...
          Reply message RE: Yes, that's right Tom...