Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
580 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D800 File Management"

Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Tue 06-Mar-12 01:58 AM

I'm still not sure that I'm getting the D800--meaning whether I'll buy one one or not, AND whether I totally understand the camera or not. Aside from better movies or the capability to make HUGE prints (both trivial features to me), the other improvements over the D700 are pretty minor, and not worth the money to many.

Let's say that I have an epiphany and the D800 seems like the way to go. How does one manage thousands of 75MB files? (Correct me if that’s not the size of the NEFs.) I’m picturing myself shooting an event where I anticipate about 1000-1200 shots per day for two days, and thinking that a lot of new storage cards are going to be needed. And how about a faster computer, or one with a HUGE hard disk? And how long will it take for an online service to receive all of my backup files?

I have never backed up online, but after a bad computer experience two days ago I realized that I need to start doing that. Thinking about the complications with the backup is what got me wondering about all of this.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mike

A general, generic topic D800 File Management [View all] , Mike in FL Silver Member , Tue 06-Mar-12 12:58 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 File Management