Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED?

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED?"

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Tue 13-Mar-12 12:33 PM | edited Tue 13-Mar-12 08:38 PM by musical

Cool thread. Reading it back from a trip from Caribou, Maine, coffee in hand this morning. Just wanted to say I enjoy passively reading the back and forth on things. So, what would I think myself?
The thread asked (its title) "too advanced?"
Oh no. As read about the d800, I'd buy one if I could! There are some ways to more steady the camera when hand holding.
I reminisce now.
I jumped from the d60 to the d700. I recognized the need for a totally new approach to things. I was a picture taker and was about to try to be a picture maker. Things that did not matter before, like a tripod...
Today I have three primes to form a kit, enrolled in college at age 53, declared concentrations of journalism and native american history, and by summer will have accrued something like 8k in debt...
I do use a tripod. I do get jealous of the olden days of carefree snapshots. I am doing three photo folders and one attempted photo essay. My text book is Ben Long's book. My attempted style resembles Sam Abell's thinking. My teacher on campus is a veteran news and industrial photographer who sort of fits the image and started teaching this college photojournalism course in 1973; Bill's thinking would be to indeed use expensive core equipment, the best you can afford, and travel light, and then to use varied means to avoid the dreaded enemies: that being camera shake and too shallow DOF-- also not anticipating the photo. Again though, he does not advocate a pocket camera but carries one rather heavy (complex) (yes, complex) camera and one sizable (expensive) lens.
He places emphasis on B&Ws, on the geometry within the picture, something called the interior matt (placement of elements in the composition), creative lighting ideas in the field, and a lot of critique on the particular timing of the capture.
He preaches that you believe in yourself. Your not taking photos to please anyone else, let's say, or someone here, or Nikon, or the instruction book that came with your camera... but to be motivated from within; I guess within my case the mission that I feel in my heart.
Well, that's my muse. I'm a hobbyist. I'm finding my way.
My chosen photo essay to be done is on a man that speaks a language so rare that only 30 people on earth can hold on a conversation in that language.
That's one I took last Thursday of a person reacting to his reading a book to school children in that language. The kids don't have the maturity to really understand how rare this person is, and that's the teacher's reaction. He's age 60, full blood, a former tribal chief, and reading from a book he wrote for kids, but in his language, and he's reading out loud in Passamaquoddy.
finished my coffee now, jw

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

This is a hot, active topic! IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED? [View all] , Gator Bob Silver Member , Mon 12-Mar-12 11:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED?