Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 12-Mar-12 06:34 PM

Armando,

I recall when I moved from film to my D200 that I had several apprehensive moments when I started pixel peeping my first D200 images. I had scanned my negatives for years with a CS4000 and was careful in my technique to get the most I could from those images. However, even then my technique needed fine tuning. It took me a while to realize that it was my technique and I had to swallow a little pride in moving on. It didn't take me long to learn the lesson that I had to grow with each new bump in resolution. I'm on the go a lot right now and a tripod is not always possible, but the lessons learned while using learning to use a tripod productively are always with me. The camera can't be too steady (I'm sure there are counter examples that my experience doesn't reveal).

I too see the technical guide as a nice collection of the suggested best practices. Like you said, some of us had to relearn them the hard way and stretch to meet the demands of the equipment. However, often the pixel level reveals detail that the every-day print level does not so we are often testing ourselves in a laboratory that doesn't reflect our every-day reality.

Breath deeply, steadily, elbows tight, don't forget to use your forehead, steady on the squeeze, could you use your self timer instead?, lean against a tree, elbows on the knees, mirror lock-up, what about the tripod?, a beanbag?, a tight string?; bump the ISO, higher shutter speed, pan steadily, don't slap the shutter-release, shorten the camera strap and tension it between your elbow and the held camera, mono-pod (only for panning), table top pressed against the wall, camera on the floor, table, ledge?, strap around the neck, camera pressed down, frame broadly with extra angle, press down on the camera, trip with the shutter release...... what other tricks?

Steady as she goes, best regards,
Roger

This is a hot, active topic! IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED? [View all] , Gator Bob Silver Member , Mon 12-Mar-12 11:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: IS D800/800E ACTUALLY TOO ADVANCED?