Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D800 orders 'unprecedented' & Hands-On Review

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D800 orders 'unprecedented' & Hands-On Review"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Mon 12-Mar-12 08:19 PM

>Howard, they all accept returns, and anyway if demand is
>anything like it was for the 18-200 way back when, he'll make
>a mint selling them on ebay.

Oh great. Another entrepreneur.

>What's irrational is considering switching systems to move
>from 22MP to 36MP.

Right - a few of the Canon guys. Agreed. Seems nutty, especially considering that all of these new cameras are superb.

I was poking around in the DPReview Canon forums and a few other Canon forums too over the weekend. The hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over the 22mp 5D MKIII vs. 36m Nikon D800 is hilarious. There are no appreciable differences between the two cameras. They are both incredible photography tools. People who think that technical measure-baiting will somehow reveal differences visible in the real world any more than a fraction of 1% of the time are deluding themselves.

So let's see now . . . if the D800 is $3100 + a $450 grip (Yikes!) - that would be, um, $3550. And if the 5D MKIII is $3300 + a $250 grip (better), that would be, um, $3550? Someone just threw a rock through my office window. The crayon-scrawled note wrapped around the rock reads, "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MEGAPIXELS HOWARD YOU JERK?!?!?!"

I think I can hear some Canon guy getting angry at me somewhere in far distance because the D800 I have on order has more megapixels than his 5D MKIII on order. Or is that a Nikon guy getting angry at me because I discussed a 5D MKIII in the Nikonians D800 forum? Or are both of them getting angry at me because I refuse to agree to anything other than the fact that both cameras are terrific?

And how about that (current) $450 price for the MB-D12? Yowza!! After all the grief I've given other Nikonians over the years about purchasing third-party grips of questionable quality containing marginal electronics, I'll tell you right now that I'll never pay $450 for an SLR battery grip. Are they nuts? This is how Nikon is recovering from sales lost to natural disasters in 2011? One grip at a time?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Nikon D800 orders 'unprecedented' & Hands-On Review [View all] , Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Mon 12-Mar-12 10:50 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D800 orders 'unprecedented' & Hands-On Review