Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 and Pixel Density

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D800 and Pixel Density"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 15-Mar-12 06:42 PM

Nick, you're basically on the right track on all counts.

The only idea in your logic I'd refine is that it's really greater enlargement reveals flaws in technique. This is only related to pixel density in that people expect greater pixel density to allow greater enlargement.

If you make, for example, 24x36" prints from your D300 and a D800, and view these at the same distance, all things being equal I'd expect the D800 print to be more forgiving of flaws in equipment and technique despite the greater pixel density, because the larger FX sensor means you're enlarging less, and by extension enlarging your flaws less as well. The "all things equal" is a real rub here however, since the larger sensor will require larger lenses and be less forgiving of lens performance in the corners, and a million other details we could discuss, but the basic idea is that it's enlargement that magnifies your flaws, not pixel density.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic D800 and Pixel Density [View all] , Nick45 , Thu 15-Mar-12 05:05 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 and Pixel Density
Reply message Not really...
Reply message RE: Not really...